2 zucchini squash
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 lb ground lean turkey
2–3 Tablespoons mexican blend cheese (optional)
1 Taco seasoning packet (or make your own)
1 large tomato, diced (for topping)
1/4 cup cilantro (for topping)
Preheat oven to 400° F.
1. In a large bowl, season ground turkey with taco seasoning packet (or make your own).
Option to add in some red pepper flakes for heat. Remember, a little goes a long way with red pepper flakes!
2. Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper & garlic into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add in seasoned ground turkey & break up into smaller pieces with spatula,
4. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon or spatula while it cooks until turkey is cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, as the turkey cooks cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop the seeds and center out of each zucchini half, leaving about ¼ inch thick zucchini boat. Add extra zucchini meat to turkey mixture in the skillet (no wasting food, here!)
6. Place the zucchini (cut-side up) in a aluminum foil lined baking dish or sheet. Spoon the turkey mixture into the four zucchini boats. Sprinkle each boat with mexican cheese to your liking (we put a lot). The closer you put the boats to each other, the more you can load the cheese on & the less you will waste falling onto the aluminum foil.
7. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes or until boats are heated throughout and cheese has melted.
8. Top with diced tomato & cilantro!
9. Enjoy with sour cream, salsa, or hot sauce!
These are great for meal prep & leftovers, as well! Just pop them in the microwave for 45 seconds or so to get the cheese nice and melted again!
Let me know how you guys like these & don’t be afraid to try different variations like Italian, American cheeseburger, etc!